Saturday, January 17, 2015

Septoplasty and Sinus Surgery update


January 13,  2015  Tuesday after Nose Surgery day 2
 Amazingly, there is very little bleeding.  And this afternoon I can already breathe through the right nostril again (I could before the surgery). I feel truly blessed, prayers are being answered.

  I did too much around the house this morning and then felt really crappy by noon.

January 14,  2015  Wednesday, after Nose Surgery day 3
I was miserable, and in lots of pain all day, I felt like I’ve been hit by a truck. A church friend dropped off a WINCO sandwich for us for dinner.  We ate Monday and Tuesday’s leftovers; roast and meatloaf.  My Refief Society brought dinner for us for 3 days.  I belong to such an awesome church.

January 15,  2015  Thursday, after Nose Surgery day 4
I felt better today.  I was embarrassed that I had Christmas ornaments out in the front room when my visiting teachers came yesterday.  There are no Christmas Decorations left in the front room now.  But I overdid it, and felt bad by the time I finished cleaning.  I’ve been super congested.  By repeatedly flushing with warm water, I got the right nostril clear again. The real question  is "Did this surgery restore breathing to the left side of my nose?"

January 16,  2015  Thursday, after Nose Surgery day 5
The nurses removed the stitches from the bottom of my nose today. It hurt.  I had hoped they would remove the hard plastic dressing over my nose too, but no such luck. I am going to reduce my pain medication from 2 pills to one pill and try to use less hydrocodone. And I am scheduled to get the stents removed next Wednesday morning.  I have to flush my sinus a lot to relieve the congestion with sterile water.  
 This is a weird picture, but it clearly shows the stitches I had taken out today, and you can see the white stents inside my nose. 
 
Victor celebrated his birthday today.  We watched Nancy's kids so Victor and Nancy could go out to lunch together.
 
Tonight we went out to dinner with Amber's family since it is her birthday today and she is teaching a painting class tonight.
 


January 17, 2015
I've been trying to do housework today, and I feel miserable.  I am sticking with the 1 pain pill since my doc is out of town. I  just got to face time with my 3 granddaughters in Missouri.  I sure do LOVE that!  Now my face hurts from smiling so much.  I need to rest.

And while I'm dealing with a painful face, Mark is playing with his new toy.
  It's easy to tell what his favorite color is.


Below is information about my surgery that is helpful for me to re-read:

Septoplasty and Sinus Surgery "
What can I expect after surgery
Typically, nasal stents are placed in the nose for 12 to 18 days with a dissolvable white jelly-like packing.
  • For the first 2 to 3 days following surgery, do not blow the nose, but rather sniff secretions into the throat and spit. Avoid smoke and other substances, which might irritate the nose. Use saline nasal spray lavage after the first day to cleanse the nose. Continue daily saline nasal lavage to keep the stents open and relieve the nasal congestion. 
  • Use the medications you were given at the time of discharge as directed. These may include an antibiotic to combat infection at the postoperative site, saline nasal spray and pain medication. 
  • Bloody drainage from the nostrils and down the back of the throat is to be expected for the first several days. You may have to change your nasal gauze pad several times a day. Drainage will slow down after  the first several days.  Drainage will change to brown to clear mucous with old blood.  Rest in bed with your head elevated on two pillows and try ice packs on the nose and cheeks.  Headaches  are not unusual, and usually improve after removal of the stents in the nose.
  • Avoid hot and spicy foods. Hot and spicy foods are known to increase nasal blood flow and nasal oozing/bleeding.
  • If nasal packing is placed at surgery, take your pain medicine 30 minutes prior to your "removal" appointment time at our office.
  • If your nose seems dry or sore, you can place a small amount of Vaseline in each nostril and sniff. This will coat the lining of the nose and help with the dryness. You can do this morning and night.
  • After your packing is removed, continue using saline nasal spray 3 to 4 times daily for 1 to 3 months postoperatively.  Take care to avoid injury to the nose for 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively. Crusting from the nose is common after surgery for up to 3 months post-operatively.
  • Contact your surgeon or the nearest Emergency Department if your eyes become very swollen or you experience double or loss of vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment